• All Version 4.1x Scripts Have Been Updated 20-May-2014

    I am currently creating documentation scripts for Active Directory (AD) and Microsoft DHCP. In doing so, I have learned some new stuff and decided to implement those changes into the current documentation scripts.

    Most of the stuff I changed for the new AD and DHCP scripts is from changes made to the Word Tables. In the new scripts, I learned how to create columns with a fixed width and how to have the header row flow across page breaks. In implementing those changes, I realized the Word code I had borrowed from Jeffery Hicks and others had lots of hard-coded values that I needed to change but I had no idea what the hard-coded values did. I had to dig around on MSDN to find the values and then removed all the hard-coded values from the scripts.

    For the AD script, I had to make the script work in multi-forest environments. That meant I had to change some code to work properly in those types of environments. The function that needed the most tightening up was the function that gets computer hardware information via WMI.

    I also took the time to make some changes to some of the “errors” the script handled. The script will no longer abort if the CompanyName registry key is blank and the -CompanyName parameter is not used. I also realized that some scripts aborted if Cover Pages were not found and some did not abort. All the scripts were change to not abort but to give a warning message that the report will not have a Cover Page.

    Some of the testers for the new scripts didn’t understand the error messages so I took the time to reword the Warning and Error messages and try to format them so they stand out more from the rest of the Warning or Error text.

    Some people reported that when a script ended or aborted they received an error that the “variable word could not be found”. The scripts now test for the existence of the “word” variable before attempting to remove it.

    The next major update to the scripts will require PowerShell version 3 or higher. Because of this, I have made the decision to split the XenApp 5 script into two scripts. One for Windows Server 2003 and one for Windows Server 2008. Windows Server 2003 is not supported by PowerShell version 3. The next minor update coming for the XenApp scripts (5/6/6.5) is version 4.2 which will add a -Section parameter so an individual section can be processed (i.e. just the Policies section). That version will be the last version I will do for the XenApp 5 for Windows Server 2003 script. The XenApp 5 for Windows Server 2008 script will be upgraded to version 5 along with the PVS, XenApp 6 and XenApp 6.5 scripts.

    There are now separate Change Log and ReadMe files for the two XenApp 5 scripts. The scripts have been renamed from XA5_Inventory.ps1 to XA52003_Inventory.ps1 and XA52008_Inventory.ps1.

    PVS script version is now 4.15.
    All the XenApp scripts are now at version 4.13.

    NOTE: All scripts are continually updated. You can always find the most current versions by going to https://carlwebster.com/where-to-get-copies-of-the-documentation-scripts/



    About Carl Webster

    Webster is a Sr. Solutions Architect for Choice Solutions, LLC and specializes in Citrix, Active Directory and Technical Documentation. Webster has been working with Citrix products for many years starting with Multi-User OS/2 in 1990.

    View all posts by Carl Webster

    No comments yet.

    Leave a Reply