Citrix Provisioning Services Assessment PowerShell Script V1.0
Imagine you are a consultant tasked with doing a Citrix Provisioning Services (PVS) assessment at a customer site with several PVS farms that each contain many PVS servers. How can you quickly answer the following questions:
- Are all the servers running the same PVS version?
- Is database mirroring or clustering or AlwaysOn used?
- Are all the servers configured the same from the PVS Configuration Wizard?
- Are the recommended registry keys and values set?
- How many vDisks are actively used?
- What is the recommended server RAM configuration?
- How many vDisks are past the configured merge value?
- Are all the server Advanced options configured the same?
- What are each server’s Bootstrap settings?
- What is the status of each PVS service?
- What account is each PVS service using?
- How many vDisks are not associated with any target device?
These, and many more questions, are what this script is designed to help quickly answer.
What I find hard to believe is that Citrix does not have such a utility or script. And trying to use Citrix Insight Services with PVS logs is an exercise in futility and frustration.
The script generates a text file (and only text) named after the PVS farm. The script can be run directly on a PVS server or can be run remotely from a management computer provided the prerequisites are met as outlined in the ReadMe file and in the help text. Since it generates only text output, the script runs very fast.
This script uses the old string based PVS “PowerShell” so the script will work with PVS 5.x to 7.7. I can’t use the new real PVS PowerShell as that only works with PVS 7.7 and supposedly if you install the console and register the DLLs, will work with PVS 7.1 and 7.6 but nothing prior to 7.1.
You do not have to be a consultant or an engineer working for a Citrix partner to find value in this script. As a PVS Farm administrator, you can use this script to get a quick overview of the PVS environment and make sure everything is OK.
If you have any feature requests or things you see need to be added or changed in the script, just send me an email. email@example.com I usually have very fast turnaround on script changes.
In V2, I will add the other output options, if and when I can find the time.
You can always find the most current script by going to https://carlwebster.com/where-to-get-copies-of-the-documentation-scripts/